Thursday, August 23, 2012

Teen Wolf and True Blood: My Junk Food

First, watch this:
"You may have never set foot in McDonalds, but you have your own McDonalds. Maybe instead of buying a Big Mac you read US Weekly. Hey, that's still McDonalds. It's just served up a little different."
-Jim Gaffigan

  One of my favorite comedians called me out in his most recent routine "Mr. Universe" by reminding me that those really bad television shows I watch are the equivalent of a Big Mac for my brain. It's true. But last summer when I had just about as much time as I do now and Michael was states away, I was living with my dad, who had a habit of watching tv. Our bonding time was watching certain shows, but I started to wonder what else I was missing out on. I'd been curious about True Blood, since it had been out for a while already, and I caught an episode of Teen Wolf at someones house. 
  You know when you're watching something and at first you're laughing at how ridiculous it is, but then you find yourself asking questions like "who's that?" or "why are they yelling at each other?" or "what happens next?" Yeah, that's what happened with True Blood and Teen Wolf for me. And then I became one of those people who actually waited for new episodes to come out. Gasp! However, I used my computer instead of the television. 
  I'm writing this because the second season of Teen Wolf just ended, and True Blood has a season finale coming up this week (but I'll probably be watching it a day late like always) I kinda felt like discussing it. I feel guilty, like my hands are covered in cheeseburger grease, but hell, I might as well own up to it. Let's just cut right to it.
  So Season 2 of Teen Wolf had kind of a rough start. I admit though, I really liked the new intro. But they introduced a new creature, which had me worried they'd pull a True Blood and start whipping out myth after myth like a terrible magician screaming "TA DA! ANOTHER ONE!" Thankfully, I got used to it, and they stuck to the same track and didn't pull out anymore surprises.
  I gained a lot of respect for the show by the end of it, because they had some really good moments between characters, mostly with Stiles and his dad. I teared up a few times (though I think I'm just sensitive to daddy issues). 
  When Allison's mom got bit and decided to kill herself, I did not give a single fuck. I was talking to the screen, "just do it already, jeeze!" She was an awful character, and I thought they'd redeem her and her husband by letting her stay a werewolf and hiding her or something. So that part I hated. 
  The one character that I found myself detaching from was Lydia. I think they went to far with the way she tried to cover up her crazy when it was very very obvious but she was just "too prideful" to ask for help. By the time that was over, it was just hard to tell what she was feeling and doing. She wasn't very involved in the story line so any time she showed up was weird and kind of pointless. 
  I think the ending played out as well as it could. I didn't see what Scott did on his own coming at all, and they left a few cliffhangers and enough hints not to make me furious with impatience. Overall I like that the show highlighted the importance of love and family, and staying close to the people who really mattered. It had a good simple message. 
 As for True Blood, this show is off the scale ridiculous. Sex, gore, a hundred separate story lines, faeries, goblins, werewolves, shifters, vampires... good lord it never ends. It has long since veered from the books it's based off of, which I don't recommend since they are just as terrible and badly written. 
  But it's that show I can't stop watching. One more french fry and maybe I'll be full? Ugh. This show makes my brain fat. Season 5 is coming to a close and it's been one shit storm after another. Not one minute went by before someone was in peril, or fighting, or crying. It was a roller coaster, and I'm not sure how to feel about it, since I really only watch it because it's my awful soap opera and I don't feel like defending it.
  However, out of all the crap that piled itself up in this show, I still think Terry is one of the best characters, DESPITE his storyline in this season. He's a family man, a big traumatized teddy bear who really does deserve a normal life. He does what he has to. I've just always liked him. Arlene is okay. I don't have much of an opinion on her. 
  My new favorite has become Jessica. And props to this actress! She's really proven to have a wide range in this show. I hated Jessica when she first showed up. She was such a brat. But through the show she's won me over, and now I really like her. Her character blog is also kind of entertaining. Plus the part with Hoyt this season really made me sad, and I don't feel genuine emotion for this show very often. 
  This season finale better be good though, and have at least some happiness because there's been very little of that this season. I hope Luna gets her daughter back, and Russell gets what for from the faeries. Sookie hasn't impressed me much this season, and her storyline has been really weak compared to others. It felt like she was really pushed back this time, instead of being the star of the show. 
  Don't even get me started on Bill. I never really liked him much, and they've done that "oh no, now the good guy is the bad guy!" thing, just like Heroes. It's such bull, I roll my eyes every time he says something stupid, which is all the time. I want Eric to get out of there, but he needs to do something new. He can't just go back to sitting around at Fangtasia, can he? I dunno, it feels like something needs to happen to him. Something different. 
  I like Tara and Pam's chemistry. Two angry stubborn ladies stuck together with occasional accidental emotion? Yes, I like it. I ship it. 
  
  There's a lot more I could say about True Blood but it would take ages and pages. I can't believe I've seen every episode, what is wrong with me? Anyway, I haven't had anyone to gob about it with and I had to get some opinions out there or else I'd pop. I should probably get on with my day now, I legitimately have things to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment