Monday, August 13, 2012

Memories Through Music

 Music means everything to me. Most of the time I immerse myself in music and it can make me feel a number of powerful emotions. Certain songs are potent reminders that can take me back to where I was one of the times I was listening to it that was especially memorable. Often it's a car ride, or a dark room, and sometimes an entire artist can remind me of one person that's been in my life if I listened to them a lot while we hung out.
  Because of this sometimes music can make me really sad, or make me feel a whole lot better. It can put me in a bit of a trance or a deep state of mind. Right now some of these songs are all I have left of relationships I've had in the past with people. Not just romantic ones, either. Some of them I'll tell you about. Others...I might be really vague about.
  1. Always by Erasure reminds me of my best friend. We're pretty far away from each other so it makes me a little sad. Despite the fact that's it's kind of a cheesy song that a ridiculous game uses as background music.
  2. The Offspring also remind me of Deroy and some of the car rides we've had, but it also reminds me of my stepbrother Scott who listened to them a lot.
  3-5. These next couple songs always always remind me of when I first dated Michael. He also showed me Linkin Park, but I'd already put up several Michael songs so I didn't want to overload it. I listened to Anytime a lot when we broke up.
  6-7. Tool and APC remind me a lot of someone I dated for a long time. I actually don't listen to them much anymore because they take me back to the mindset I was in then and flood my brain with things I don't want to think about.
 8. Another ex showed me Lamb of God, but I quickly detached the association simply because I fell so in love with this band, I didn't care. It's still one of my top favorites, and I'd just die if I got to see them live.
  9. This is the ex boyfriend section. Although I already loved SOAD, I listened to it in the car a lot with a certain someone. For some reason I remember when we'd stopped for something and he was singing this at me from outside the window.
  10. Welcome Home reminds me of Marshall, a really dear friend that I used to talk to a lot. He really listened to me and it was nothing but a platonic friendship and I was so appreciative of him. I miss him.
  11. Buttons, a song I can never listen to without thinking about a drunken night.
  12. Maroon 5 in general just reminds me of car rides to Flagstaff and Mesa with a friend I used to have, and that whole weird time.
  13. I gave her the CD this is from and she pretended not to like it because she was embarrassed, but told me thank you later.
  14. The only song I remember clearly from that awkward two months. I still wish I was friends with this guy, but he won't have any of my nonsense. I guess I can't blame him.
  15. Red Hot Chili Peppers also reminds me of someone I had a not-quite relationship with. I don't talk about it ever.
  16. I got a lap dance from Wyatt to Fuck The Pain Away for my bachelorette party. Oh man, I couldn't stop laughing.
  17. That Boy That Girl was a song my friend Steph and I used to blast and know every word to in high school. Come to think of it, she showed me the last song too.
  18. Honest Mistake takes me back to middle school when I was close to Shanea. She showed me the music video, which was back in the days when I had hardly seen any music videos ever so it was really memorable.
  19. Float On reminds me of several people, both I've had feelings for in the past. It makes me feel peaceful, though. I still know them and we go way back.
  20. Tongue Tied   reminds me of when I lived in Phoenix and the two friends I made and still talk to now.

I'm really not afraid of sharing stuff like this.  Maybe it's weird but it just kinda came to mind and I wanted some material to post. I hope you can enjoy at least some of it.
 

4 comments:

  1. I don't remember pretending not to like that cd you gave me. I still have it in my car and listen to it all the time, even that that probably makes me lame. I love that cd. Just so you know. And Buttons freaks me out - I can't listen to it at all. Awkward.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I think it was at that party I threw for you that ended up being kind of a bust. I figured it was the thought that counted but you seemed pretty upset. I'm sorry my memory is so creepy/if it's not accurate.
      Really? Buttons just makes me laugh. It was so long ago anyway.

      Delete
    2. Nah, I remember being stoked on that party. It's still the only actual birthday party I've ever had, let alone a surprise one. Nothing but good memories about it on my end. And somewhere around here I have a notebook full of quotes from me, you and Serra after we got drunk on that Jagermeister Ed gave us.

      Delete
    3. Well that night was pretty fun, at least. I remember that too. I think Deroy might have a few quotes from that in her quotebook, like "I figured we just get drunk, cry and makeout."

      Delete