Friday, June 8, 2012

The Quotebook

    If you hang out with me long enough you might notice me pull this book out and write something down. It's usually amusing but sometimes impressive, and anything goes: movie quotes, book quotes, show quotes, famous people and the people I know.
   It all started in high school. Imagine that book  twice as big and in the hands of my best friend Serra. Since freshmen year when we had p.e. together I helped her collect quotes or produce them myself. It was one of the many many things we bonded over. To this day that book still gets a new quote once in a while. Looking through it you can see who was in our lives and to us it's almost like history. It's better than a year book. You can see what we were into at the time and who was around, without all the embarrassing pictures and all the people we don't know.
   When I moved Serra gave me my quote book. Same style, same pattern, same color, just smaller. The baby quote book. It's easy to keep in my purse and makes me feel a little more connected to my best friend, like I'm on a mission to write things down she might think are funny or enjoyable. I can tell her stories about the people who said the things I wrote down.
  It's a fun little side hobby. I'll skim through and choose a few to show you.


"Underneath the bruises and the handcuffs, you know what I see? A girl I respect." -Little Shop of Horrors

Anthropology teacher: Another thing I don't consider art is Techno, but I'm sure there's someone in this room who likes it. 
Older woman: Yeah I love the Black Eyed Peas!
(and here I face palmed myself because wow)


"What's that place where Steven King wrote that scary ass book?" -my cousin Melanie

"That's the thing about cops. They're like vampires--they can't come in unless you invite them."  -Michael's friend Frear

"If your boyfriend is sitting in front of the TV playing video games, either learn how to play with him or make him a sandwich and shut the fuck up." -my friend Hillary
(this is one of my favorites because I was telling her about how an army wife here made her husband get rid of his Xbox because she wasn't getting enough attention. I'm pro-video games so I agreed.)

"It feels like they're filming Jurassic Park in my stomach right now." -my friend Brian Lawler (after eating at Devil's Pantry)

So you get the idea. If someone makes me laugh I'll whip out the book, and that includes people on TV. I'm glad I have it. On bad days I'll look through it and it'll at least make me smile. 
  
   

No comments:

Post a Comment