Saturday, June 9, 2012

Prometheus, and Other Sci Fi Films That Terrify Me

    All films, songs and books have a certain effect on me in a pretty serious way. I leave most movies after totally immersing my brain in them feeling like I'm in whatever universe was created before me. I just let this stuff wash over me and so I can leave feeling spooked, paranoid, happy or really sad. It usually lasts for about 24 hours unless I can find something else to distract myself with. Sometimes I like the feeling, even if it's kind of negative, as long as that seemed to be the goal of the film.
   Prometheus was one of those films that both scarred and amazed me. It's these sci fi/horror films that entice me and end up showing me something I never wanted to think about. Moon, Sunshine, District 9, all movies I liked but had something that made me really squeamish. Since they're in the future my brain says hey, it could happen. And that's the worst part. If there's some kind of gore, something unnatural happening to a human body and there's screaming and blood I have a really hard time watching it. But this was one of those movies where I just couldn't look away.
   Ridley Scott is the creator of this film, and if you weren't aware he's also responsible for the Alien film series. Now, I haven't seen them, but once it was over Michael started telling me how Prometheus was a small link, possibly a prequel to the series. Even I recognized a certain monster in the movie. You can't ignore it. It got me so interested in the story line I'm downloading Alien right now, though I think my eyes might hate me for it.
   Overall I really liked it. It may be one of those movies, though, that when it's on my tv in the future, I just might walk away during certain parts.

    I guess I have to hand it to the effects team and the people who made this so real I shut my eyes for a second (or three). I also just really loved the fact that one of my new favorite actresses was the strongest character in the movie. Noomi Rapace, also famous for her role as Lisbeth Salander in the Swedish The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo. It was obvious from the preview that everyone is pretty much fucked, but that's an understatement. However Noomi, like Sigourney Weaver in Alien, is the badass that makes it out alive.
   The android David was really precious. Even though he was the kid who wouldn't stop touching stuff he wasn't supposed to touch I couldn't be mad at him. Michael Fassbender plays a really good soulless robot. It wasn't that he was the official bad guy or anything (at least in my opinion) because there are a variety of intentions harbored in the people on board. I do have to admit that Charlize Theron's character was rather weak and never went anywhere or surprised me.
   Again the storyline was really interesting. I was right there with Noomi's character in wanting answers. It's a visually beautiful (and horrifying) universe, and if you're not intrigued by it then you're one of the douchebags who sat behind me who wouldn't stop saying how stupid it is because it's "such a ripoff of Alien." It's not a ripoff, it's a prequel. I really hate people who don't bother learning anything about movies and the story behind their creation.
   So yes, I'd watch it again, but on a smaller screen and somewhere I can hide behind a pillow for a minute. It's just that one scene (referenced the in second photo) that got me. Lots of people worked on this movie, more than the average, so congrats to them for making something like this that I ended up liking. It's worth seeing at least once!


Check out the timeline that links Prometheus and Alien!

No comments:

Post a Comment