Tuesday, June 12, 2012

A Dose of Corgi: Food

  Our dogs have a funny way of eating. For the most part I just put the food out for them in their dishes in the dining room by their water dish, but they never run for it like a lot of dogs do. Some days they don't eat their intended breakfast until later in the afternoon, probably after eating stuff from outside all day.
   As these are our first dogs it is a little weird and concerning. But they run and play and nap and do all the stuff they normally do other than that, and show no signs of being sick. Foxy concerns us more because she's very skinny for a corgi, which is why we call her our imitation corgi. They're supposedly sisters, but Toki is the one who's got the expected corgi image.
  Sometimes they'd take turns eating, and one would go a whole day without food unless I made sure to put food in their kennel (which I'd always do). Finally I got tired of it and decided to feed them separately. But even then Foxy hasn't gained any visible weight. Yesterday we decided it was time to give them a heartier food and give Foxy a little extra.
  We got these little packets of some meat bits and gravy (specific to dogs, obviously), and I give most to Foxy mixed into her dry food and a little taste to Toki. You'd think they'd never eaten before because they seriously chowed down when they tried it last night.
  This morning when I sent them to their kennels to just the new dry food (I thought maybe I'd just give them the bits once a day) they sniffed it and seemed to look at me as if to say What the hell is this, where's that stuff from last night? Toki laid down and sighed real big like she was pouting. So I guess they really like it.
  I bent since it's still new to them and split up a packet (more to Foxy) and they went nuts. Toki simply snarfed it down like there's no tomorrow, licked the bowl and watched Foxy delicately picking out her bits before finishing the rest of the food. It was honestly really funny, I couldn't help but watch.
  Their personalities have bloomed since we got them and they seem really happy and loved. I still remember those first few nights we had them when none of us could sleep. They're very well behaved now!

No comments:

Post a Comment