Wednesday, May 2, 2012

The Curse

I don't really have an interesting picture for this one, it's just gonna be some rambling on my part.

I've been saying this to myself for a while, but I'm cursed. I'm pretty convinced. And this curse is making new friends; it's been nearly impossible since I got out of high school.

It started in my first semester of college when I was really getting along with some people in my English class. I come to find out that both of them wanted/joined the military, and I really only saw one of them a few times after that class.

Another friend I made that semester joined the Navy and I never saw him again.

Later the next year in my Spanish class, yet another person I got along with was in the Army. That was right around the time Michael decided to join.

It kept happening, I kept meeting people who were in the military or joined and left. Even some friends I had already were thinking about joining. My friend Marc had long since joined and left before Michael.

When I moved to Phoenix I didn't think I'd make any friends. The few I did: a marine, who'd completed his contract (thank god), a guy in the Air Force, and a girl who was thinking about joining the Air Force.

Seriously I don't know what it is about me meeting military related people, or maybe people look at me and think "I should join the military." Somehow I keep running into these people.

And here of course, in a town comprised of 50% military it's obviously hard to throw a rock and not hit someone in the military. But the first non-military friend I made here moved within a week. She'd already planned to when I met her, so perhaps I'm subconsciously choosing people on the run? ...Because...I'm...afraid? I mean, I don't like a lot of people but I'm not completely against making new friends.

Shortly after that (so a few days ago, really) I was working and I met someone who agreed that neither of us had friends here, so we exchanged information. I knew he was a marine, but I figured he was stationed here for a while. Turns out he's leaving very soon. This Saturday.

And lastly yet another person I get along with is leaving in a few days. He's in the Army, but a different class than Michael, so on a completely different schedule. He's just one of those people that I always have good conversations with when we see each other at parties. Closest thing to a friend. So of course he's got to go.

I know I don't repel these people. A lot of the time they're already in the military, or they already have plans to go. I just meet them at the wrong time. All I know is it sucks. A lot. I feel like I'm just not allowed to have new friends. Either they have to go or I do.

It's getting really frustrating. I'm definitely cursed.

No comments:

Post a Comment