Tuesday, April 10, 2012

A Weekend Home

A couple weeks ago I felt really discouraged here. Some people we invited over caused some unnecessary drama and by the end of the night I was convinced I'd never make any friends.
I really really really really really needed some Arizona time. Originally I thought it would pretty much be a given that Michael get a four day weekend for Easter, but turns out I was wrong. I'd been talking about going to Arizona for Easter weekend for a few months (basically since we got here) and was shocked to find out that Michael couldn't go. He asked if I wanted to go anyway, and I just couldn't pass it up.
Insert "that banana looks like something else" joke here.
Day 1 was completely dedicated to my best friend. She picked me up from the airport and we had a Phoenix adventure. She took me to La Grande Orange for a much needed breakfast, Fresh & Easy for some caffeine and snacks, and BevMo for some yummy drinks. I saw where her boyfriend Chris lives (one big giant man cave if I ever saw one) and where she works. We went to several malls and saw The Lorax.
Towards the end of the day, though, I was having a hard time staying awake. I'd gotten maybe four hours of sleep the night before and we did quite a lot of walking. We went to my dad's house with the intention of watching a movie. I tried to stay up but by eleven I passed out.
Day 2 I was just sooo happy to be in Arizona. I didn't like Phoenix much when I lived there but being in a flat hobunk town made me realize how beautiful it all is. There's scenery here you just can't find anywhere else. I loved the cactus, the layered rocks, the hills, the trees....I saw everything with new eyes. I went out to breakfast with Serra and a friend from Phoenix before getting a ride to Prescott from my dad.
That night I went out to dinner with my family, and Michael's family happened to be at the same restaurant! On top of that I ran into a classmate from a writing class I took at Yavapai. I really missed just running into people I know from different things. It happens all the time there, to the point where you want to hide sometimes, but this time I welcomed it.

Day 3 was Easter, and I ran around trying to see as much family as I could. I went to the Cooks in the morning and had a light breakfast and mimosas, then to cousin Michaela's (always full of people and chaos), back to my mom's for dinner, back to the Cook's to pick up Michael's candy, and finally to Bri's apartment where I sat with Serra, Bri, Jaimie and Brian Lawler on Bri's bed for a few hours just telling stories and laughing a lot. Once again the night before I hadn't slept enough to feel fully rested, and while waiting for Serra to get me to go to Bri's I nearly fell asleep. But I was so determined to party on and see as many people as possible!
(From top left to right and down): My dad and his hummingbird feeder, cousin Melanie, going to dinner, walking to the Cooks, my favorite husky, Michaela, brother and his girlfriend, Bri's house, Robeks with Deroy and B.Lawler before heading back to Phoenix to fly home.

The last day was of course a little bittersweet but I acted like I'd be back soon. Michael gets a four day for Memorial Day weekend and I'm sure he wants to go to AZ. That's not too long from now!
Deroy drove me back to Phoenix but we grabbed some smoothies with Brian before heading out. I would've liked to have seen his brother Stewart as well, but he was already back in Tuscon after visiting Prescott a few days before. It was so nice to just bum around with familiar friends and talk about everything.

It was funny though, because I got asked literally the same exact questions all weekend.
1. How do you like Oklahoma? I don't, I'd answer, and everyone seemed a little shocked that I didn't say I liked it or sugar coat it in the least bit. It's flat, it's ugly, I hate the people and there's little to nothing going on.
2. How's being an army wife? I dunno, I just feel like a normal wife most days but I'm reminded all the time that I'm in this community of crazy women and temporary places.
3. How are the other wives? A few aren't so bad. But I've met several negative stereotypes that make me want to never leave the house for fear of meeting any more of them.
4. How's Michael? He's good, we're good, just stuck in a routine is all. He's in training till Octoberish.

There were a few more, but those are the main ones. I started getting confused about who I'd told what so far and kept repeating myself. That was annoying, but everyone's curiosity was understandable so I dealt with it.
Some cute eggs my sister in law and cousins made.
It was definitely a needed adventure. Aside from a little bit of family drama (which I'd take any day over the shit that goes on here) it was perfect. There were a few more people I would've liked to have seen, but I definitely packed in a lot of fun times. I feel emotionally rejuvenated and more motivated than before, so hopefully I'll come out of this hole I've been hiding in and get some useful stuff done! Still, I'm really looking forward to the next visit to Arizona. 

No comments:

Post a Comment