Saturday, November 12, 2011

A Game Review: Just Dance 3

Ordinarily I try to avoid "that game that everyone is playing" (it's the hipster in me) but in the last few months I've let go of a lot of my judgmental side and it's let me enjoy a lot more. (Including terrible movies.)
I played Just Dance 2 at a party after I'd had a few drinks and ended up laughing a lot as well as breaking a sweat. There was no tutorial as far as I knew, and there is none on JD3 (though it's the third one, so that could be why). I was simply thrown into the chaos of learning some very energetic dance moves and looking like an absolute fool while doing so.
The reason I decided to invest in the newest in this series is it's an arcade style game, and has no plot and therefore I am not missing anything but playlists in skipping straight to the third installment. Also, I was looking for a new way to exercise. Even after I stuck to Wii Fit Plus for a solid three months, every single day, it was fun but my body adjusted, and it wasn't enough. I wanted a silly new game that would get me moving, even if it meant sacrificing my dignity.
The playlist is mostly what you would expect. There's several of the "latest hits" but also a few songs I've never heard and a few I was really glad to see, so it's a good mix. As you go along the list they get increasingly active, and after just one song from the middle of the list I was already sweating. So that's great! It feels silly so you have to be able to laugh at yourself but if you really go for it some serious calories can be burned.
I'm really looking forward to getting friends involved. It's excellent for a solo work out but I'm betting it would make a great party game, seeing as that's where I first discovered the series. I'm already hungry for more songs though. It's a fairly long list and of course you unlock a few more and some extra modes as you play, but it still doesn't feel like enough. However, even when I say "meh" to a song on the list, and make myself play it anyway, it turns out it's fun once you start moving to it and just embrace it.
All in all I'd recommend it for anyone looking to be active without leaving the house (because personally, I can't stand public gyms/being around strangers to exercise). And once it starts getting colder, like it has been, who wants to go outside anyway? I feel a whole lot less guilty about how lazy I usually am if I incorporate this game into my routine.

No comments:

Post a Comment