Sunday, November 20, 2011

I Still Think Anout It

This last year has been crazy. So much has happened. And if I think about high school, and what's happened since then, it's even crazier.
I miss people I don't talk to anymore. Even if they were only in my life for a brief period of time. I never really forget anyone. Ever. There's always a part of them with me, or something that reminds me of them. A song, a bracelet, even a single word.
I think about my past a lot. Too much. I've said this before. I consider it a big flaw of mine because it's so much harder to let things go and they eat at me until I do something about it. Which is why this last year I've done my best to make amends with a few people to put my mind at ease. I'm not done yet, but I'm hesitant to finish.
It's weird to think that this time last year Michael and I weren't technically together. And I wasn't sure if we'd fix it. It wasn't for very long so we kind of just pretend it never happened. But I still think about how that brief time period was. I had absolutely no idea what to do with myself. I sort of went crazy.
My brain kind of split into different voices that wanted different things. I had to really think about things and talk myself through them but in some cases I completely ignored them and did things impulsively.
It was a dark time for my brain. It doesn't seem like that long ago but I realized the other day it's been a little over a year.
I still wasn't totally in one piece when Michael left for bootcamp. I had sort of slid back into clingy-girlfriend-mode (not as hardcore as before) but I firmly believe that you can't be a clingy girlfriend across long distance. That's just not cool.
So I had to reprogram myself again. And I'm doing much better. But I know I've found the right person for me because he's loved me through all of it. I can hardly wrap my head around that. Here's some cliche gay stuff that I've found to be very very true:
-People won't like you if you don't like yourself.
-Depression is real, and it does hurt, and not just you.
-Love is greater than distance.
-Sleep on it.
-Everything will sort itself out one way or the other.
-Remember to breathe.
-People don't necessarily change, but they can improve.
-Sometimes the best thing to do about a problem is nothing.
 -Don't stop believing/dreaming/hoping
-Keep moving forward.
...And other sayings and stuff. I've had to learn things the hard way and teach myself but that seems to be the only way. That's what works for me. As long as I keep reminding myself of the progress I've made I hope not to forget it. Ever.

No comments:

Post a Comment