Thursday, August 25, 2011

Military S/O Drama

"I think it’s ridiculous how young all you military “SOs” are on tumblr, and how all you talk about is forever and true love and yadda yadda. You haven’t lived long enough to know the meaning of TRUE, real, deep love. The only “SO” recognized in the military is a wife and trust me honey when your 18 year old self gets married and moves onto a base, the real wives will have nothing to do with you. I should know, I’m a military wife and I live it every day. We see girls like you all the time, too young and infatuated with the American hero they married. Let me give you some hard facts. You will be looked down upon on the base by both wives and soldiers alike. We don’t have to get to know you to know who you are, like I said we get your type all the time. Prepare yourself to be ostracized and judged. You think it’s going to be like on tumblr, one big happy supportive family but it’s not, not for you teenagers anyway. You have to remember that the majority of girls on here are just girlfriends, or even fiances. They have NO clue what it’s really like. Just being married is not enough to be considered a real military wife to us. You are still a kid, you are going to grow and change and so is your young boyfriend. You won’t be the same people as adults that you are now and most of the time, you teenagers don’t see your 5th anniversary. Like I said, I’m saying this because I know. I see it every single day. But you’re going to do what you’re going to do. Just letting you know what is to come so you aren’t blindsided. Good luck."

This is circulating Tumblr today and while it was tempting to jump in and rant with the many offended girls out there I thought I'd be slightly more private about it and take it to my blog I reserve for more words and less pictures. Apparently someone is ignorant to believe this and I don't know or understand why. Whoever this is has a serious complex and this is the kind of haughty stuck up bitch I'm afraid of running into as a new military significant other. 
For starters, no one has a right to look down on someone else because of their age. You can't just look at a young couple and scoff like that because you think they won't survive the world you're in. She doesn't know the first thing about them. This is why I do my best to curb judgement when I see young military girlfriends/wives too. For all I know, they met when they were in kindergarten and have had a mad on and off love affair their whole lives and this is their final test: surviving the military life. I don't know what their situation is. You just don't know, so you have no right to stick your nose in the air and say you do. 
Some of the best relationships sometimes come out of being impulsive. Who's to say that just because a couple rushes into a relationship they won't make it? There are so many factors around if a relationship will work or not but I'll tell you this: if both people want it to work, it will. I'll tell you about three couples I know as examples.
1. My moms parents. They met in high school, and then my grandfather joined the marines. She waited. They've been married since they were about twenty years old, and now they're both eighty. Despite being young they grew together because they wanted to, and because they were meant to. No length of distance kept them apart.
2. My dads parents. They had only been dating a few months when her parents said they didn't like him and she shouldn't see him anymore. Guess what they did? They got married. Their fiftieth anniversary is next year. They've had tough times and ridden them out because they wanted to.
3. Michael's parents. They were so young they had to wait until she was eighteen. But it's been twenty six years and they're the best team I know. They go everywhere together. 

So who is to tell someone that they'll be judged for their relationship? Who has the right to snub someone like that? You have no idea what they're been through; you may think you do just because you're living the military life too, but no one is worse or better, we're all different. Whoever wrote that bullshit is a special kind of bitch. You can't tell someone that what they're feeling is insignificant. You can't tell someone that they don't love their husband enough. That's just awful. For all you know they have a beautiful life together ahead of them. 

So let me just rewrite this, based on what I think she's trying to say. 

"I think it’s ridiculous how young all you military “SOs” are happier than me, and how all you talk about is forever and true love and yadda yadda. I married for money so why should you know the meaning of TRUE, real, deep love. The only “SO” recognized in the military is a wife and trust me honey when your 18 year old self gets married and moves onto a base, you'll know who is a big fat bitch and who you can hang out with. I should know, I’m a stuck up whore and I live it every day. We see girls like you all the time, younger than us and skinner than us and still infatuated with the American hero they married. Let me put you down so I feel better. You will be looked down upon on the base by both mean ass hoes and douchebags alike. We don’t have to get to know you to know who you are, like I said we ignorant everyday. Prepare yourself to be talked about because we're jealous. You think it’s going to be like on tumblr, one big happy supportive family but it’s not, not for us haughty adulterous bitches anyway. You have to remember that the majority of girls on here are just girlfriends, or even fiances. They have SO much ahead of them. Being just married makes us jealous that you're still happy. You are still a kid, you are going to grow and change and so is your young boyfriend. You can grow together and make it past your anniversary without cheating like I did. Like I said, I’m saying this because I know. I do it every single day. But you’re going to do what you’re going to do. Just letting you know what is to come so you aren’t blindsided. Good luck."

 Yep. That's better.

No comments:

Post a Comment