Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Welcome Distractions

The map for my college
So the countdown till Mikey visits is down to less than two weeks. I had my first day at the community college here yesterday and it was intense, mostly because I had to sit out in the hundred+ degree weather in between my three classes, and on most Mondays and Wednesdays I won't get home till five. It was a looonnng hot day.
One class I'm really excited about tho is Contemporary Cinema. My teacher in a man in the theatre program so naturally he's a little bit fabulous, and we get to watch movies and talk about movies and write about movies and as soon as he started explaining how the class would be I was rearing to get started. I'm really looking forward to it.
This campus is probably a good four times as big as Yavapai, maybe more, and I circled around twice trying to find a specific building. Don't even get me started on finding a parking spot. I heard a middle eastern language and Chinese from some of the people zooming around me. I had to ask for directions a couple times and apply sunscreen more than once. By the time I got to my last class I was burnt out, which isn't good, and I'll have to figure out how to fix that. I got a few compliments on my tattoos tho, and I actually felt more than a little out of place coming from a town where everyone dresses like a hippie and has at least a few tattoos. The only other tattoos I saw were either kinda skanky or they looked like prison tatttoos. And I did not understand how some people could survive wearing black shirts and pants, but I saw a lot of that too. It was over a hundred degrees. Fuck.
Still, I'm glad to be doing something even if I feel like a total alien while I'm there. I don't like the heat but I do like school. It should be interesting. Today I have just one class after that hectic day yesterday, which is nice. When I'd explained to Michael I hated sweating outside around a bunch of people I don't know and the day was long he pretty much just said "welcome to my life." So hey, I kind of know what he's going thru now.
I definitely went swimming and took a long shower when I got home and got settled. I felt really gross. Even when it cools down I'll be glad I'm not staying here.

No comments:

Post a Comment