Friday, August 5, 2011

IRobot Day

Sunday marks an occasion I feel is especially important this year. It is to me, anyway. 
August 7th 2004 (I've had to check my middle school journal may times to make sure) I went to Harkins Theatres and met some boys from the other middle school in town. As all of our close friends know at this point this was the day I met Michael. I'd talked to him and his friends online for a little while before but meeting in person was an entirely different experience. 
Back in the day Michael was a lady killer. Seriously, he had this effect on girls and everyone wanted a piece. It was absolutely ridiculous. Girls I knew and girls I didn't know but made themselves known to me were jealous, and I'm not being egotistical here. I was just a silly nerd just starting to leave my awkward phase. But every time I turned around there was some bitch in my face telling me he was hot, I didn't deserve him, etc. Even my best friends back then admitted they were jealous. 
And I've never been the kind of person to let how other people feel effect my decisions. Sometimes that's harsh but it's lead me to finding the perfect person for me no matter what. I don't believe in girl world rules. I pissed off a lot of people I thought were my friends. But people are not property, and I've always felt good friends, real friends would understand that I'm doing what makes me happy. 
So IRobot day marks that first day I saw him and decided what I wanted. It lead to a long string of events that lead me to where I am now. Everyone knows we haven't been together since that day, but what we went thru then wasn't a waste. It lead to a great friendship that became so much more. 
Sorry if I'm making you wanna vomit but this is important to me. Since we got (back) together in 2009 every year we've watched IRobot in the first week of August. Both of us keep forgetting the date so the last two years have been an approximation. It's not about whether it's a good movie or not, but it isn't terrible and we both love Will Smith.

But this year Michael and I are physically the furthest away from each other we've ever been. It's a good thing the seventh falls on a Sunday so that he has some free time. We're going to do the best we can do to continue the tradition and have a Skype movie date. We'll watch it at the same time, pause when either of us needs to pause, and try real hard to pretend we're in the same room. It's become a pretty important date for us to celebrate. 

But I'm definitely glad I get to see him in a few weeks :)

No comments:

Post a Comment