Monday, February 28, 2011

Nicknames

When I was little my mom called me Coco, a name of a French clown. Probably because I made her laugh all the time, but what parent doesn't laugh at their child growing up? Children are funny.

But for a long time I never received a nickname I actually liked. My name was still fairly rare when I was young so my nicknames weren't so much nicknames as they were mis-pronunciations. 80% of the time it was a substitute teacher who didn't know how to read. I got "Chole" (like Joel with a Ch), Cleo, Schlo, Ch-low, and others so off I nearly rolled my eyes right out of my head. Is it that difficult? Really?

However, from one of these pronunciations came the first nickname I liked. Ch-loe, which sounds like Cello-ee, and this was okay because my orchestra teacher called me that. I was okay being called my favorite instrument.

Another one I don't like so much is Chloyster. It's based on a Pokemon that looks like a big purple angry oyster. It's stupid. My cousin called me that at first because he thought he was clever, but then it was just to piss me off. I don't like those names that end in -ster. It sounds so frat-tastic. I'm neither a frat boy nor a bro. I don't even have a dick. So don't call me something that implies I do.

It was another long while before I got another nickname I didn't mind. I think it might've been my friend Amy who called me Chlobo once, and it didn't catch on for another few years. Then it was added on to by Random, and Chloboat was born.

In Supai Moose called me Chlotor, and I started using that for a while. There was also Chlobtron in relation to robot sounding names. Not as cool or popular as Chlobo.

So that covers just about all of the screen names I use. Sometimes I use my middle name, and I used to think about going by it but I don't think it would catch on since I've lived here so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment