Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Rape Your Mind With These Movies

I'm way too into movies. I pride myself on being able to recognize actors even in their strangest roles and I'm getting pretty into directors, too. I used to be a book worm, but I have this terrible curse that doesn't let me finish books 9/10 times I try to read them. If I don't eat them up in less than a week I'll never finish them. Movies take a lot less time than books and can still give you a lot to analyze and think about. So if you're as into films as I am or are just in need of some recommendations, add these to your list. These are the craziest movies I've seen as of late.

MR. NOBODY

I know I've mentioned this one in a previous blog, but I can tell you a little more about it now. It's a little difficult to explain, but basically it starts with an old man talking to a strange looking therapist about his life. He talks about all these different outcomes in his life as though they're all happening at once, and at one point he says something about quantum physics implying that he did in fact experience all of his lifes possibilities at once. It's sort of a love story, but not really sometimes, because he tells us about three different women he's with. But not at the same time...

You really just have to see it. It's more of a positive trippy than a negative, because although it's sad at times it's bittersweet and lovely.

BLACK SWAN
This is still in theatres I believe, so hurry! If not, add it to your list to see later as soon as you can download it or get it on dvd if you're one o' them honest people. This was a strange story about a girls internal conflicts. Natalie Portman is a dedicated dancer living with her mother (no father) who still treats her like a little girl. Her dance instructor says they're putting on Swan Lake, and need one person to be two characters: the white swan and the black swan. Things start getting weird and questionable when the main character starts seeing the dark side of herself walking around and experiences things that later no one can decide whether they did or didn't happen.

It gets really intense and bracing. The director (Darren Aronofsky) who did this movie also did Requiem For A Dream, The Fountain, Pi, and The Wrestler. Haven't seen the last two, but definitely watch The Fountain. I sort of have a grudge against Requiem because it raped my childhood, but it's one of those "drugs are bad, look what happens" movies. Really good soundtrack.

SPLICE
 Though fairly predictable, this Sci-Fi/Horror was still really shocking. Two scientists (also a married couple) are working on splicing certain species to create a compound to help human beings with things like cancer, diseases, diabetes etc. They seem like a happy pair and are talking about having kids, but their higher ups say that if they don't create the right compound soon they'll probably be shut down. Miss Wifey Scientist suggests introducing human DNA to the splicing experiment "just to see if they can." There's a lot of "what's the worst that could happen"s and you find out just what the worst that could happen is. The experiment, Dren, develops fast. Too fast.

It gets craaaazy. Watch it.  This director, Vincenzo Natali also does a movie called Cube. There are sequels but just ignore them, they're no good. Another movie he directed was called Nothing, which I haven't seen yet but have heard good things about.

So there you have it! I enjoy recommending movies and I'll probably do this more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment