Wednesday, June 26, 2013

More Tattoos For Me


 If you're familiar with Adventure time, you may or may not have heard of a little YouTube only series called Bravest Warriors. It's a series of super short episodes with the same random (but with more freedom of creativity, since it isn't on a network) awesome comedic style. It doesn't take long to catch up so I highly recommend it! This is a little character named Catbug from the show. Before you go judging me for committing so hard to a cartoon character on an internet show that only has one season so far, let me explain.
  Catbug does actually represent a lot to me. I've been trying to think of how to get a ladybug worked into one of my tattoos for ages, and all I could think of was a little one on a flower petal of a much larger piece, making it more of a side note than a main attraction. I lived in Oregon for two years as a child and it's where some of my first memories reside. We had lots of vibrantly green plants and there were always tons of ladybugs around and I found them the least frightening and cuter of the bugs I'd seen in my few years of life. I just remember the smell of rain and being really excited to have a ladybug in my hands.
  And the more obvious element is the cat; I've always had at least one cat in my life since I was born. So this adorable little character embodied two of my favorite elements of my childhood. I decided what better way to remind myself to be happy and retain a childlike sense of wonder than with something like that?
  It came out great, so vibrant, although this time the healing process was really rough! He still looks pretty good but I'll no doubt get a touch up when I go home again.

  Yet another piece of my childhood is Sailor Moon. I had been playing with the idea of one of Usagi's talismans but it hit me one day that she isn't necessarily my favorite or the one I relate to the most. In fact Sailor Mercury is. People thought she was weird for being smart and isolating herself with her nose in books and technology all the time. Mercury also happens to be the planet of my star sign Gemini, so I had my artist work it into the handle of Sailor Mercury's first wand.
  It also came out wonderfully, though healed rough, and reminds me to strive to be a strong (and maybe a little magical) woman. I love that so many types of girls are represented on the show. Be who you want to be and you can still kick ass. Bake cookies, be a lesbian, be a ninja, who cares? Pretty great message.
  I believe that makes 13 tattoos now. Oh man. And I still have so many plans!

No comments:

Post a Comment