Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Day 19: S/O

A huge storm started up last night and it was so intense! I don't mind a little thunder and I love the sound of rain but man, it really sounded like it struck our backyard a couple of times. Now it's just a low drizzle with the occasional rumble. The dogs love it, but sadly I had make a rule that on days like this they're confined to the tile of the kitchen, where they can dry off and I can sweep up the dirt they drag in. Sigh.

Anyhow, on to day 19, which is about my significant other (s/o). I've done this a few times now, so it's starting to get embarrassing, and on top of that I dedicated a page to it not too long ago when I was making some changes to this blog. It's easy to find out our story, just click the tab that says "The Story of Us"!
Contrast: His junior year of high school and the weekend he graduated basic.
This will be the eighth year I've known Michael; our three year anniversary of being together is this summer and at the end of the year our first year being married. Needless to say we've been through a lot. Lots of good times and a fair share of not so good times. It wasn't until Michael signed up for the army that we really learned to hold on and appreciate each other. Now we really are better than we ever were. I mean that.
I have a hard time staying mad at him (for whatever reason) for longer than a few hours. We've gotten pretty good at just dealing with problems head on and being able to tell each other exactly what we feel. It's amazing how much we've progressed and gone from the average teenage couple to real long term committed adults (though I say adults loosely because we're both still kids at heart).

Michael has an endless curiosity and can make just about anyone laugh. He likes to make food but he doesn't really like to clean up afterwards. The only big problem we have sometimes is misinterpreting each other. If I sigh at the wrong time and I'm really just taking a breath, he thinks I'm copping attitude, and when he's just trying to explain something to me I think he's talking down to me. We're pretty quick to clarify situations and just get over it, though.

Although I'm really sad how far away I am from friends and family, I'd be just as sad without Michael around. We're so in tuned to each other we can speak our own jibberish and guess each others thoughts, and we help each other see perspectives we'd never think of on our own. Before I moved here he was living in the barracks, which are like strict college dorms with lots of rules and unpleasant roommates. He was getting really miserable, and I needed him too. Even though I'm having a difficult time adjusting to the situation, I'm reminded all the time how grateful I am to be here with him.
Thanksgiving weekend when he proposed; sharing horchata.
He's just my awesome ridiculous other half and I'll never want anyone else in the entire world.

No comments:

Post a Comment