Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Doggie Update/ Day 11

Yesterday was crazy. I don't know how I even managed to make a blog post because I was so busy watching the two babies of the house. I've learned a lot about them in the last 24 hours.

1. Although definitely intelligent, they have just about zero training. Seven months old and all they really know is when they're doing something they shouldn't. Foxy understands "drop it," which is good. But Toki is very very anxious and afraid of anything she doesn't understand. Which is a lot.
2. If it's not their idea, they don't wanna do it. They're starting to respond to their names more and more, but if you call them to a room or call them outside, you have to wait a few seconds for them to decide they actually want to do what you're suggesting.
3. Foxy is extremely selfish. If Toki has something, despite the fact that it's usually the exact same thing she has, it must be better. She hoarded all of their edible chew toys last night! Toki got so bored without them she chewed up a shoe I'd accidentally left out. Then one of them took some stuffing out of one of the brand new dog beds. So.
4. Toki was probably abused at some point. She gets very submissive when people come near her and if you walk towards her too fast she starts to run off. She doesn't like climbing stairs or making effort to jump up onto things even when she's supposed to and it's obvious she can. She needs confidence, both to stand up to her sister and to function in daily life.

They have the potential to be better dogs with a lot of patience and guidance. Adopting dogs from a previous owner usually comes with these kinds of problems. It's very frustrating but we can't give up. I've been using lots of positive reinforcement and praise when they do good things and thankfully after a trip to the petstore last night we have a few things to distract them from chewing on basic household items. When Foxy gets in Toki's way for a treat or attention I simply ignore her and give her a closed fist when she tries to lick me. Sometimes though she really has to be held away.
I have a theory that maybe Toki did a few bad things inside the last owners house and possibly got hit for it, and both of them got banished outside for long periods of time where they developed their own independence and survival. I really am not sure but whatever happened it was fairly neglectful. We gave them a bath last night and they were so happy they ran around like crazy for the first time. Now they're really soft and fluffy! I actually didn't realize how dirty they were :(
I just made a vet appointment for them to make sure everything is alright. It's mostly Toki that I'm worried about. She can get really lethargic sometimes but also has clear anxiety issues. They both eat grass outside, but Toki more so, which I hear is how dogs self medicate. Whether it's illness or nerves I don't know.

I'm only able to write all of this because we got a doggie gate and I can keep them in the same room and not worry about what they're doing. I'm surprised they didn't try to knock it down but they figured out pretty quick that they couldn't just leave and do whatever they wanted, which is the message I'm trying to send. Today I'm reinforcing their names with treats and rewarding them when they come when they're called, sit, and when they quiet down when I tell them to.

Okay, now for our regularly scheduled program: Day 11 of my blog challenge. The Best Day.
May 17th 2010
Good days always include:
♥A handful of Prescottonians
♥A walk to get food or coffee
♥Thai food
♥No shoes
♥Perfect weather
♥Driving with the windows down
♥A snack run with Serra
♥A bonfire
♥Mixed drinks, wine, or other booze
♥Hookah time
♥Video games
♥A marathon of certain shows or movies

It kind of sucks knowing that nothing will ever be the same. I don't know when I'll go to Arizona next, and most people I know there have moved away anyway. Everything is so different. Even a year ago I had no idea things would be this different. I wish Michael could have this job in Arizona, or at least have training there. Then it wouldn't be so hard for us to visit or for friends to visit.
There are a few good days here, usually on the weekends when we have people over (and I'm in the mood for it) and we get six packs of Smirnoff and whatever anyone else wants (but don't expect to find it easily) and we have pizza and play a game and watch a movie. It's good. It's just not Arizona good.

No comments:

Post a Comment