Thursday, March 1, 2012

Day 9: Comfort Things

I remember one of the worst stereotypical bad days I had in high school: the day I got dumped Senior year. I was so upset I went home early and sat in front of Grey's Anatomy eating a huge bowl of ice cream. (I don't actually watch that show, my mom was on a kick at the time.) It can be kind of interesting to know what people turn to when they feel terrible for a day, and just how different or similar it is to your own method.

In general I do turn to food for certain things. I love hearty soups when I'm tired on a rainy day, tea when my throat hurts, chocolate with hazelnuts in it when....you know. I like to sit in bed playing Pokemon when I'm too sick to move.
Most of all though I love watching movies or shows I've already seen when I'm feeling icky. The comfort of knowing lines or having favorite parts is really comforting to me. Things like:
♥Grease
♥Matilda
♥Hook
♥Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs
♥17 Again

So you know, musical numbers, animation, happy endings. I've already mentioned the Reese Witherspoon thing so I won't go into that.
I also really really love Friends. I generally don't watch a few episodes here and there. No no. I go for marathons. Entire seasons. So, when I have a lot of time, maybe I'm really sick and can't leave my ten blankets, or I just need some warm and fuzzy nostalgia and familiar sarcasm from Chandler Bing.
I don't know what it is. I don't really get this far into shows this often. It's probably one of the only series I can watch over and over again.
The Ross and Rachel thing does bug me. The ending wasn't quite as disappointing as the ending of That 70's Show, but it was still a small letdown. That's okay, because there's just nothing like starting all the way back at season 1 and buckling down with some snacks for the night/day.

I always have to hold a separate pillow when I fall asleep, so I tend to look like a dork and take it everywhere I plan on sleeping.
I love wearing Michael's shirts and jackets.
 I re-read the manga series Marmalade Boy every year or so since I started it when I was 12.
And of course I love re-reading the Harry Potter books every so often too. When I finish a book I watch the movie and start on the next one.
Playing The Sims is also really relaxing; I can sit and create things for hours, literally.
My mom makes these really awesome gingerbread cookies with cayenne and molasses every year around the holidays, as well as these crunchy peppermint cookies and I always look forward to them.

Anything that's simple and takes me back to a simpler time comforts me, as I'm sure is the case with most people.
That'll about do it for today, be back tomorrow for Day 10!

2 comments:

  1. I swear sometimes you knock 2 of these out in one day. but yes The Sims will never stop being distracting and theraputic. I can't wait to get it set up over here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nope, you just don't check it every day!

    ReplyDelete