Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Day 15: Jealousy

Derping while stuck in traffic.
I've dealt with jealousy a lot in my life; not necessarily me being the jealous one, either. But I guess that's not what this is about.
When it comes to people, like Michael for example, since he's always been the source of jealousy in my life for the last few years, weird things make me jealous. I've seen crazy jealous girlfriends and I've always been careful not to be one. I don't spy on him or make threats to girls interested in him, any of that nonsense. Once when we were thirteen, I got a note on the bus (about Michael, the very same I married) that said "Your boyfriend is hott." I just laughed. I've never been vicious about jealousy.
I guess the things I don't like are being compared to past girlfriends in anyway, and old pictures. Those two things alone drive me nuts. For example I don't understand when Michael puts up a bunch of pictures an old girlfriend took. Although to him, he just likes what's in the pictures. He doesn't think about who took them or what was going on in his life at the time. It's completely reversed for me. That's all I can think about and it really gets to me.
One day, a little while after we'd started dating I was wearing one of his sweatshirts with the hood up, doing some silly arm movements to make him laugh. He stopped and said "You look like [the girl I last dated] right now." Well, I got really mad and took the sweatshirt off. He said he'd made the comment because he thought I could handle it, or I was over it, something like that. I definitely wasn't. It took another year or two for me to even speak to the girl he mentioned, since we'd been friends also.
Any drama I've dealt with since high school has had to do with Michael. And before that of course I dealt with Michael vicariously. Things sort of lead up to him and I being together, though I had no idea it would happen. Everything changed later when Michael decided to join. We broke up for a while and saw other people, and that was pretty hard on both our jealousy meters. And with Michael so far away, I'd ask about any girl he mentioned (but they always end up being old with kids and unattractive, his words). By then I trusted him too much to really get worked up over who he talked to. It just wasn't worth the effort by then. We'd gone through so much and Michael seemed sincerely dedicated to having me in his life.
So I haven't seen much of the green monster lately, which is nice. I don't tend to feel jealous about possessions. Michael and I have some pretty cool stuff as it is, and there's not much on my want list at the moment.
That's all for Day 15! I keep delaying these, but I guess the blogs I read don't exactly update all the time. I'm a speed blogger compared to most. I'm also still cleaning gradually from the party. Without a dishwasher it's a little tough to arrange things to clean. But oh well! It's getting done.

No comments:

Post a Comment