Thursday, February 2, 2012

Mostly I'm Just Bored

I've been putting off another entry lately because I had another bout of homesickness and didn't want to spill it all over my blog and make an angsty little mess I'd probably end up deleting. It'll get better, I have time, and I can do things on my own time. I just need to remember those things.
Right now I'm in that phase I was when I first got to Phoenix; that up and down boredness that always leads to watching tv shows in long marathon stretches alone. Although this time it's not so bad because I do get to see Michael, and I'm hearing some word of a friend from home visiting very soon and this years Supai trip is already being planned, something which I definitely plan to go home for. So it's going to be okay.
Just for fun here are some weird things about living here:
►Michael getting up at 5am, and thus waking me up. I go back to sleep till he comes back at 7am, and back to sleep once he leaves till around 9am.
►We're so close to base I can hear faraway booms of artillery exercises, which sometimes sound like someone banging on the walls of another room. It was very unsettling for the first week.
►Since over half the town is populated by military families, everyone populates the same areas on paydays and weekends: Walmart, IHop, and the grocery stores on base. There's also a lunch time rush, so places like Chik-Fil-A have drive through lines that wrap around the building.
►The town ends abruptly if you go too far and turns into something resembling Chino or Wilhoit in Arizona.
►No soldiers are allowed into smoke shops and a few other places. That leaves me to buy tobacco for our mini hookah and Michael to buy any alcohol. (Neither of which we do that often.)
►The employees at the grocery store on base (known as the Commissary) will cart your bags to your car for you without question, which would be nice if you weren't obligated to tip them. It just makes it a bit awkward. We can do it ourselves, y'know?

Anyway I've gotten back into exercising at least fifteen minutes a day, and hope to continue doing more hardcore workouts on the weekends with Michael like we did last weekend. He showed me some exercises from the army and has a little handbook of them that I can use as a guide when he's not here, so I've been taking advantage of that.
When Michael's not home I watch The Big Bang Theory, Cardcaptor Sakura, and play Rune Factory Frontier or whatever other game I'm focused on.
The other day though, we started watching Misfits. I'd seen some .gifs from it but other than that I had absolutely no idea what the plot entailed, nor did I know it was from the UK, since any quotes I saw were pasted on someone silently mouthing them. Imagine my surprise when they all get struck by an ominous storm in the very first episode and it turns into the British Injustice League.
I'm pretty hooked, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up. I've already heard about most of the cast being replaced and the style changing and I'm worried I won't like it as much after that. We'll see! I have to wait for Michael to be home till I watch any of it, which is taking a lot of willpower. I may or may not have kept him up too late watching it last night.

I've tentatively started the job search, but like Prescott it's hard to find a place that isn't a fast food joint/restaurant or a place you need real qualifications for. I'm not quite sure what'll happen and I may have to settle for something unpleasant, but I'd really like to make some of my own money. Despite all the "we"ness of being married I can't fully accept that the money he's making with his job belongs to both of us. I should really get off my ass and do something about it.
I'm also seriously considering picking up a new instrument. I haven't consistently played something since high school, which makes me sad, and there are a few little music stores here that offer some unique instruments as well as lessons. The instrument I'm considering? The mandolin. Because I don't know anyone who plays the mandolin and since I have experience with string instruments already I wanted to pick up a more interesting one. It was between that or the banjo, which was a difficult choice to make. It's just something I've always wanted to do, yes, pick up a folksy instrument. I really hope I can get the chance to do it this year.

That's about all I can slap down right now. I've stretched it on long enough. 'Till next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment