Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Day 7: Working Out

I'm really trying to dedicate myself to some physical activity for at least 15 minutes a day, but my goal is 40 minutes to an hour. I started doing a whole lot more than usual last week and am trying to keep it up, but starting is half the battle. Lately if I don't start by 4pm I close my internet browser, turn on some music and get on the trampoline. Once I'm sweating a little it lets my body know that yes, this is happening. Work out starts now.
As I mentioned in my last entry I don't like working out in public. I also get bored of the same thing fast. At this point, though, I have a lot of things to help me that I just rotate into when I'm feeling bored:

1. Michael's handbook of Army exercises. I've memorized a few but when I find myself standing there wondering what to do I crack into it and find something I'm comfortable with.

2. Wii Fit Plus. Although I don't actually turn it on and play with it as often as I used to, I memorized yoga poses and exercises from this too.

Sideways Leg Lift
Single Leg Twist
I do these two exercises every time I work out, but I hold 2-5lb weights and double the reps. One works your side muscles and the other works your abs. And of course it's a balance challenge, too. The yoga poses I do are the Palm Tree pose and the Sun Salutation, usually at the start and end of working out.

3.Just Dance 3. Ever since the TV burnt out I haven't wanted to play this because I like it on bigger screens. I guess that's kind of spoiled of me. But seriously this is the most active game in the series and one or two songs is enough to get you breathing faster and starting to sweat. However if I've already done a work out this really kicks my ass. I think I also needed a break from it because I was getting a little tired of the songs.

4. The things around the house. Weights, a punching bag, a soccer ball, the trampoline, a stretching rope, and a weighted jump rope are all at my disposal. I don't necessarily utilize them all when I work out (the minimum is trampoline and weights) but it's cool having it all to choose from.

There's also a pretty good chance we're getting an eliptical and later on a giant 12' trampoline for the yard. I'm really stoked about the first one; we've been talking about it for a while and we had to hunt around to find a good one with level options. I think it'll really whip me back into shape as long as I can keep at it.

I've been able to lose ten pounds at a time when I really try, but I'm hoping for twice that. It'll probably take some time, which sucks because I'm sure I'm not the only person who wants to see results fast. I've started a personal weight loss blog, just for me, and am taking pictures every time I work out so that gradually I can actually see myself change. I also jot down whatever exercises I do and how long it all takes.

The more I work out the better I feel, and if I skip a day or two I start feeling really terrible. As long as I can start again I'm back on track. Definitely working out later today!

No comments:

Post a Comment