Saturday, February 25, 2012

Day 5: Opinions

My "I don't know I don't really care" face.
When it comes to those things a lot of people consider important and are passionate about, I tend to just shrug my shoulders. I don't like to watch the news, because then I think the world is ending, and when it comes to being informed I find a lot of things through the internet or close friends.
Even then my attitude is usually "what am I going to do about it?" I'll sign the occasional petition (because internet censorship is wrong, m'kay?) but for the most part I stay in my own little bubble. I realize that's not the greatest way of looking at it, but I do gain a little bit more interest in the world as I get older, so I search out information when I want to know it.
The problem I have when I do that, however, is there are so many opinions and biased information and people arguing that I get overwhelmed and give up. People get so crazy over things that to me seem like common sense but apparently have a lot of possibilities.
The latest thing that's gotten my attention and made me say "woah, I need to pay more attention to the world" was the day I tried to go to my favorite torrenting site, btjunkie.org and discovered that my faithful reliable friends had voluntarily given up because basically they thought they'd be shut down anyway. I was so not okay with this. I noticed a few other sites protesting censorship, and started feeling genuinely upset about something for the first time in a while. But aside from putting my name on some petitions, what else can I do besides mourn the loss of a site that allows me to steal music, movies and games? Is it better this way? I don't think so but I'd like to decide that for myself, please.

The other topic that gets me really upset and passionate is religion. I grew up being really annoyed with church and stopped going when I was twelve. I checked out Wicca for a while but I realized quickly that it was silly. Then I had this very very Christian "friend" (it was complicated, I don't feel like going into it) who convinced me to try Christianity again. So I did, and it stuck for a few months but one day it just hit me how stupid it felt to just believe and accept things like that. And no matter how nice these people seemed, if you did something against their beliefs they said you were going to hell, or that that thing your family member is doing instead of Christianity is a cult and they were going to hell too. It got really really personal and I got angry and never went back.
It's not like I'm an Atheist. I just think it's wrong to so firmly believe that you're right just because you were raised to think so. I don't think anyone is right and I wish everyone was neutral and just said "oh well, I guess we'll never know." But no, they have to take this big telephone game that is The Bible and take it literally and assume it's totally correct and holy despite the fact that it's been filtered down, chopped up and re-written.
Like Twilight, I did some reading and researching so I know what I'm talking about when I completely bash religion. And if you're offended by this, I'm not really that sorry. Just don't try to talk to me about it because it will get ugly or I'll shut down and change the subject. It just makes me really upset when someone tries to convince me that Christianity is right and that I "need God in my life." If God is so forgiving and accepting and "everywhere," he won't mind me living out my life and talking to Him about it later when all is said and done. I won't worry about it till then.

That's just about the only thing I can rant about for a long period of time. Abortion? It's my body, fuck off. Gay Marriage? Yes, I believe they can do marriage better than some of the couples these days. Gender equality? Of course, and I hate the way media continues to brainwash us into thinking we're supposed to look and act a certain way. A lot of people are catching on, but there are still those who go along with it.

As for politics, it's one of those topics that every time I try to get informed I have no idea what to believe and feel stupid sticking to something so I just don't. Obama seems like a nice man but everyone is really mad at him. But Bush kind of fucked things up before him and left him to sort things out. Who am I to judge, it sounds like the hardest job in the world. No matter what you do you're going to piss some people off.
He can't be that bad of a person...
 I don't know who to vote for and I don't really care. I should care a little more, but I don't.

I do get offended by stubborn people who won't just move forward with the rest of us. Just legalize marijuana, let gay people get married and let women make their own decisions, what's so hard about that? Marijuana does more good than harm, gay people are adorable and deserve rights and if you don't have a uterus you shouldn't be telling people what to do with them. Duh. But not everyone thinks so, I guess.

I don't know, when it comes down to it all I can really say is whatever. We'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment