Saturday, January 7, 2012

Homesick

It feels like I've been away from the internet for so long! In internet time I've been away forever, seeing as I went from blogging, facebooking, lurking and Tumblring everyday to hardly touching base every few days if possible.
I'm currently leeching off of Michael's phone's internet, so it's therefore painfully slow and uploading anything (like pictures or videos) is pretty much impossible. I'd love to, and I tried, but I can't till we have real internet that doesn't take over an hour to upload a less-than-two-minute video tour of the house.
It's the strangest thing having a house, being married, and living in a new state all of the sudden. I still sort of feel like we're just on some weird house sitting vacation, or that I can drive down the road to see my mom or to PV to see Serra. It's taking a while to get adjusted and even though we've only been here officially for a week it feels like much much longer. Last night it all kind of hit me how far away I was and the reality of my situation, and I got a little upset (it may have had something to do with the fact that it was Mikey's 21st and I was drinking, just maybe). It's not like I'm not really happy to be moving forward in my life and it's exciting having a house and finally being close to Mikey after half a year of hardly ever seeing him. It's awesome. I just wish our friends and family were around to share it with us. I get this empty feeling where I feel like Serra and Chris should be here with us, helping unpack and playing games and making dinner. Or that our parents should come over and see our progress. I just hope I can go home soon.
We're pretty much broke from all the expenses during moving and feeding ourselves while we had no power, gas, or water for the first five days we were here. I still have to get my military ID, which is difficult with Michael back in class. He has to get his pay adjusted now that he's married, which will take another week most likely. I've met a few people here but so far really only like one of the wives, which I figured would happen. You can always tell a military couple because it tends to be made up of a baldish guy, a chunky to obese woman and one to four children. It's made me ten times more hesitant to procreate, since none of them look too happy.

Some quick facts about Lawton and the life here:
♠It's flat as fuck; there's no mountains or pretty trees and therefore nothing to stop the harsh ass wind from knocking out the power.
♠There are really only three main roads to navigate, plus a highway. Most neighborhood roads are in need of serious reconstruction.
♠The main boasted asians here are Koreans. I don't know why. But we found a delicious Korean barbeque restaurant right away.
♠Even the nicer parts of town are kind of ghetto.
♠For the most part people have terrible tastes in food here.
♠It's a lot more diverse here than in Prescott for sure people wise.

I suddenly have all these responsibilities, some I expected and some I didn't. I definitely feel like a wife after being at home for a week cleaning, doing laundry, and running errands like paying rent. I'm woken up twice by Michael getting up to go to PT and coming back for breakfast and going to class. He comes back for lunch and if I need the car I drive him back to base and pick him up after formation. We made our first dinner at home last night and our new friends gave us a little hookah so it's starting to feel more like our house.
The first room we have mostly set up is the living room, since we need our games and movies. We got a nice leather futon couch and have a few chairs from Mikey's house so it's a cozy set up. I'd post a picture if I could but this internet just does not cooperate.
I traded missing Michael and feeling like he should be there when I did something important to missing friends and family and feeling like they should be there at certain moments. I expected it but it's hard to get used to. Michael graduates training sometime in October and then we'll get stationed somewhere else and we do this moving stuff all over again, something I don't even want to imagine right now. We have so much stuff and it's probably going to take another week or two to get most of it out of the way. The bedroom is still a disaster and so is the spare bedroom. Without Michael around most of the day it's hard to get it all done. I also get distracted (or give up for a while) and end up playing games.
We're hoping to have real internet by next weekend when Michael's pay is adjusted and such. 'Till then the internet won't see much more of me and vice versa. It's a little inconvenient but also kind of nice at the same time. I spent so much time on it while Michael and I were apart.
So, until next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment