Sunday, October 16, 2011

Movie Review: 50/50

I just saw this movie today; I actually didn't think I'd get a chance to because I don't go to movies all that often and I wasn't even sure it came out. If it weren't for my brother visiting I probably wouldn't have gotten to see it 'till it came out on DVD!
Anyway, as you can see it stars Seth Rogen and Joseph Gordon-Levitt, as well as Anna Kendrick (Scott Pilgrim, Twilight). Anjelica Houston made an appearance too; she played Mrs. Addams in two films, so I was entertained to see her in a different role. Right away you can see that Adam's (Gordon-Levitt) life is pretty average. But he's been having back aches, and we all know any aches in a movie means either cancer or unexpected death. (Also that's the premise of the film as advertised, but nevermind that.) Thus beings his process, including how it affects the close people in his life.
Not that I've ever had cancer, but I felt this was a really realistic portrayal of it. Adam just wants honesty. He doesn't have any inspirational break through. It takes a while to really sink in that he only has a 50% chance to survive. And when his therapist starts reciting some general "this is normal" psychobabble, he says this:
"See, but... that's bullshit. That's what everyone has been telling me since the beginning. "Oh, you're gonna be okay," and "Oh, everything's fine," and like, it's not... It makes it worse... that no one will just come out and say it. Like, "hey man, you're gonna die."
 There are some really touching moments in the film, and Seth Rogen serves as comedic relief as his weed smoking (surprise surprise) getting-laid-obsessed best friend. It started getting really powerful though, and just when I thought I was gonna make it to the end without crying, it got me. I won't say when! But I really really liked it, and I think I might actually buy it eventually instead of downloading it. It seems worthy to be in my physical movie collection.
So go see it! If you miss it in theatres or are tight on cash, add it to your list to see as soon as you can. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment