Thursday, April 7, 2011

Favorite Books

My list of favorite books is relatively short and stereotypical. My tastes in books is undergoing a change and it's really hard to decide what I like to read anymore. Not only that, but I have this curse that won't allow me to finish a book if I don't read it in two days. The last book I read was Choke by Chuck Palahniuk and honestly I didn't like it. I'm just not into that edgy x-rated sex and gore stuff. It was gross. I know it's supposed to be and a lot of people like the shock value of that but I just couldn't really stomach it. At least I read it all the way through and gave it a chance, I feel good about that part at least.

The few books I've come across and really liked are:

1. The Harry Potter Series. Of course. In particular, I really liked the third and the sixth.
2. Thirsty. Another vampire book and not written that well, but I really enjoyed the idea of someone not wanting to be a vampire. It didn't have any of the "sparkly glam" that vampirism has now and went back to the classic ideal that vampires are in fact monsters, and we probably wouldn't like to be one as much as we think.
3. The Lost Girls. I'm into Peter Pan more than I let on, and this book was a spontaneous find about the girls in Wendy's generation. Each one of her relatives as young girls met Peter, and Wendy is now old and crazy. The main character is Wendy's granddaughter, a grown woman dealing with her own daughter who can't fly to Neverland because she is too depressed. It's kind of a sad mother daughter story; I really liked it.
4. Disco Bloodbath, also known as Party Monster. I really enjoyed the voice and the writing style. It was simple flamboyant and effective. And also funny, despite being about a murder and a bunch of gay guys who go to raves and do a LOT of drugs. It was just way out there and really entertaining to read. The movie was also enjoyable.
5. Blood and Chocolate. It's a werewolf story, and to be honest it's kind of a glorified erotic novel. The idea of being a werewolf is very sexualized and it's pretty awesome. Basically the main character is a female werewolf who has to decide if she wants to stick to her pack and take the responsibilities of being what she is and finding a mate, or straying and falling in love with a human. If you have heard of the movie DON'T. WATCH IT. It was so badly done I wanted to punch everyone involved. If you've made the mistake of watching it, read the book. It's delicious.
6. A Certain Slant of Light. Two spirits unable to go to heaven inhabit the bodies of two high school students that have essentially died inside. They then fall in love. Very strange but very cute.

Aaaand that's pretty much it. I don't really like reading the books that everyone else reads (aside from the HP novels). I like finding weird books on my own. The only trouble is I have so much trouble doing so. Libraries are very intimidating for me. I don't actually enjoy searching through all those books for hours. I just want someone to hand me a book, because I'll read it. Or "eat it" as Michael says, because I read way too fast when I'm interested in a book. I haven't given up, I just don't read like I used to.

So if anyone wants me to read their favorites, let me borrow them and I'll certainly give it a shot.

1 comment:

  1. You've probably seen this coming from a mile away, but if you think you'd like some short stories you should try some from my lovecraft book. The writing style is kind of old-timey, but I don't think it's out of your range.
    Also stop having like 5 updates in one day woman.

    ReplyDelete