Tuesday, February 1, 2011

A Rant About "V-Day", and Days 16/17

Yet another day missed; I was tired again, though not as tired as my last entry. I don't think I turned my computer on at all yesterday which would be another reason why I neglected to complete day 16 on time. Not a big deal, since I have yet to miss more than a day.

Also, happy February! It's that month that through some old old story grew a tradition of the media forcing us to eat pieces of chalk with words on them and tell certain people we love them, because we certainly don't do that any other day.

Nah, I'm not bitter.

I have mixed feelings about "Valentines Day," because it's brought a range of emotions to my life, from being embarrassed to being depressed. I don't like gloating that I'm with someone because of all the people out there this holiday puts pressure on and brings misery to. People get dumped, people kill themselves on Valentines Day.

Woah woah woah, this just got way too intense.

I mean to say, Valentines Day, like many other holidays, is what you make of it. I don't feel pressured to get my boyfriend presents, I just want to, so I will. He knows it's not just because I'm influenced by society; I get him presents for no reason, too. But you don't have to spend money. Make a card from scratch, pick some wildflowers, do an outdoor activity, you know? I made a card last year, when I was broke. He still has it :)

I've actually found some funny date ideas here: Thirty Dollar Date Night

And here's a Valentine to give to that "special someone," as they say, if you really don't have the creativity in you to make something but still want to be more unique than Hallmark:

I really just like to send good thoughts to the people out there who aren't going to have a good Valentine's Day and make the best out of it. Next year Michael might not be here, which is sad, so I reserve the right to spoil him this year. So maybe it's a little conformist of me to go along with a made up holiday, so what? It can be fun, and I'm all about makin' good memories right now. That's what counts.

"If you give me O's I'll give you X's." -The Boyfriend

Anyhow, on to the blog challenge!

Day 16: Your Views on Mainstream Music

Oh gawd, where to I start? There's so much music out there right now that is not only moronic, repetitive and lacking creativity, but it is liked by people, and generally people I can describe using the same latter words. Not to say I'm not guilty of listening to some mainstream stuff that other people might not like, but there's some stuff that I just will not touch, like fucking Kesha for starters, and Taylor Swift, who wears too much makeup and has an unoriginal voice. Also, there's songs like "Whip My Hair" by one of Will Smith's offspring that make me stop and seriously say out loud: "That's a song?!" This is shit I could do myself.

There are other artists I have more respect for for my own reasons, like Lady Gaga and Nicki Minaj. I like their costumes, I like the way they do things, etc. It's not just their music. When I decide to like or dislike an artist, eight times out of ten it's because I have looked into their background, listened to more than one song, tried to like them and just can't. Some music I like because it makes me laugh and I usually associate a good memory with it, but that doesn't mean it isn't stupid, you know? So it can depend on variables like that.

Day 17: Your Highs And Lows of This Past Year

Yet another where-do-I-start moment. A lot happened, once again, but it was really the last few months that have been really up and down. I started getting depressed last August, although the summer was pretty good. It's generally been one big mood swing to the next, honestly, like it usually is. I guess it happens to a lot of people. I got stuck in a pretty bad rut last year that I didn't know how to get out of. But I've gotten a boost that has encouraged me to keep going and go for my big goals: family and career.

I know that's really vague, but I don't know what to say. I had a good time in June, and a terrible time in October. Now everything is back to the way it should be, and lately I've been, wait for it, optimistic. I know, me? Optimistic? Nevar. But I am :)

No comments:

Post a Comment