Sunday, February 13, 2011

Day 28: Something That You Miss

My theme song for the night after being spontaneously called into work:


So, as the 30 day challenge nears the end, today I write about something I miss. I miss people I haven't seen or talked to in a while. People who don't know I miss them. Lots of people. Childhood friends, friends I only had for a short time, friends I made in college I don't see anymore, and friends I've gotten in fights with, made up with, but still never saw again. I'm really terrible at staying in touch with people, and I feel like it's my biggest flaw. I would love to stay close to numerous people throughout my entire life, but unfortunately it's such a difficult feat that no matter how much I like to write I somehow just can't do it. I think about these people from time to time when something reminds me of them, probably more often than they think. Most of all I wonder if they still think about me.
So many people come and go, each one of them unique, each one of them with something to teach us, big or small. I believe people can't or don't stay in my life because they have already taught me something, and I don't need them anymore. That doesn't mean I don't want them anymore. Big difference there, between need and want. When I realized I had something to learn from people, good or bad, I started stepping back and trying to figure out what it was when our time in each others lives was over, at least for a while. It's a very enlightening thing to do. I've come to realize that every person serves a purpose, and not very many of them can stay after fulfilling that purpose. A select few may have a lifelong purpose, and those people will stay in your lives until you force them out (but you shouldn't).
Still, I miss those come-and-gone people. They've made me laugh, they've made me think, they've helped me grow, and positive or negative I silently thank all of them for shaping me as a human being.

And with that, I bid you all goodnight.

No comments:

Post a Comment