Saturday, October 15, 2011

Confessions via Anonymous Strangers

I found this site of military related confessions (almost entirely anonymous) and felt like posting the ones I related to or got me thinking. There are over seven thousand pages and of course I didn't go through all of them, just a few!

"Everytime I hear a HOOAH, OORAH, ERR, etc, I have to laugh.  What the hell does that mean anyway?!"
I know it's some kind of old fashioned battle cry thing that's supposed to be motivating but it makes me laugh. I s'pose shouting anything gets you pumped, tho.

"Cheating is the epitome of TRASH."
Seriously. Sex is not water or air or food; I'll never understand what compels people to cheat because they can't just wait to go home to the person they vowed to be loyal to. Some women brag about it, and although part of me is dreading meeting any unfaithful spouses, I almost look forward to it because I will not be nice to them and I will enjoy it.

" I am not a hooah army wife. I love my soldier, and I support him and all the troops, but I don't get into all the crazed rah-rah-sisboomba bullshit that is so prevalent. I don't have stickers on my car or window or anything like that, and my husband is the same way. He doesn't want me to be assimilated, like many Army wives. I am also completely against the war, an opinion I must always keep to myself for fear of being an outcast."
I don't think I'll ever think camo underwear is cute or put stickers on everything. It's his job, not mine. 

"Poor girls had a bad night tonight. they wanted their daddy and cried for 30 minutes. they said to me the army is his family and not them now. it hurt so muchbut i will never tell him that."
This just makes me sad. I'm afraid of my future being like that, if he stays in the military longer.

"What does "support our troops" really mean anyway? I don't know why but when people tell me they support the troops, in reaction to hearing that my husband is in the military, it makes me uncomfortable and I don't know how to react."
After attempting to imagine the lives of the thousand of individuals that are in the military, wondering how they got there, if they had a choice, if they have families, I don't know how to "support" them. Some of them aren't even happy doing what they're doing, and I wish they could go home and be normal people.

"I don't know how to make friends anymore. At social events I introduce myself, I smile, I make small talk, I ask questions and I'm very nice and friendly. Then everyone goes home and I never hear from anyone again. If they see me at the commissary they wave, and that's where it ends."
I'm a little afraid of this, too. I know I'll meet a lot of people, and hang out with them, but then we'll probably move and start all over. I'll always have people in Prescott; I'm gonna miss everyone a whole lot.

I've learned a lot since Michael left. I've learned that some of my previous beliefs were closed minded, and others were right on target. This goes for the military as well as the people supporting it: there is always one person who does something stupid and makes everyone look bad. I don't feel bad for not being as "into it" as some significant others are. I like wearing his tags but that's because I feel closer to him and what he's doing. I admit I'm a bit snarky when people in non-military/non-long distance relationships complain that they haven't seen their guy/girl in days, even weeks. It's just weird sometimes and I don't know how to express it. They don't know what I'm going through is like, but I don't know what it's like sitting at home raising kids while my husband is in Iraq (and I'm hoping I never will, honestly).
I just don't feel "part of it." I felt really detached and strange when I when to his base to see him graduate boot camp. It's a totally different world isolated from everything else.
But either way, it's going to be an adventure, and I wouldn't miss it.

No comments:

Post a Comment