Friday, April 1, 2011

The Bucket List

Ten Things You Want To Do Before You Die

1. Go To Japan! Also, just travel in general. I really want to get outside of the states and have some cool stories to tell for the rest of my life. I feel sort of sorry for the people who get stuck in the same place for so long for one reason or another. Even if they're happy with it, it's probably just because they don't know any better, which is sort of how I feel. I'll always love Prescott, but there's so much out there I can't imagine spending my whole life here.
2. Be A Parent. This still scares me, but not as much as it used to. I know it'll happen some day because I want it to, and it'll happen when I'm ready. It's silly but I secretly really want twin boys, which is very but not entirely unlikely, since twins run in my family. I'm really afraid of raising a girl, which according to the laws of the universe means I will probably have twin girls instead. Whatever happens, I can't imagine anything more rewarding than raising a family.
3. Kiss The Blarney Stone. I'm Irish, and I can't help but feel like I should do this. For those who don't know, the blarney stone is a block of bluestone built into the battlements of Blarney Castle. You have to have someone hold you upside down, hang on to some handles, and kiss it. It's supposed to give you the "gift of gab" or "skill of flattery." To me it just sounds lucky and a funny thing to do.
4. Have A Steady Career. Not all adults achieve this, especially today. From what I can tell, it's something like having a child too early that gets you stuck in lots of dead end jobs to pay the bills, feed the child, and almost never do anything fun. There are people who can still function beyond this, and that's great, but personally I'd like to be financially stable before I start a family.
5. Write a Book. I've mentioned this more than once, I think. It's not an easy thing to do, but I think I could do it. Taking writing classes has really been helpful, despite not really being credits towards anything specific. I don't regret taking them. I've always loved to write and instead of just writing without a purpose and never getting better I decided to keep learning. I'll still be taking classes of interest when I'm old, I'm sure.
6. Take A Cooking Class. In the next while I don't know if I'll get around to it, but I'd really like to get into cooking. To be honest I'd love to be able to make Mikey his favorite foods when he visits, and although I'm good at following directions I know that's not all it takes to making deliciousness. I'm more interested in foreign foods like Thai and Indian, so I'm hoping there are some specific classes for that kind of thing. Somewhere, someday. Till then I'm just gonna start makin' stuff and hope I get the idea.
7. Be Spontaneously More Crafty. Things like tack balloons full of paint on a wall and throw darts at them. Weird and long but it's something I've seen done in movies that looks so ridiculously fun I want to try it. I'd have to have a place to do this, obviously. But really I just want to be craftier and do crazy spontaneous things like this. Paint more, take a sculpting class, make pottery, jewelry...I've been wanting to make my own gauges recently and I bought some stuff do it, just haven't gotten to it yet. I think I will soon, since I'll have a lot of time very soon.
8. Own My Own Dog(s). I figure I should learn how to take care of my own animal(s) before I decide to take on children, but I've mentioned before how much I want a dog. If I had a place I'd have one already, thought I'd worry about it being alone when I had to work and such. I'd take it with me whenever I could. I would love to have a Corgi or two, or maybe a Shiba Inu (yes it's a Japanese breed, you know me). Really though, I'd settle for any large eared mutt if it was cute enough. I would love to take my furry friends on long road trips and camp trips.
9. Meet A Celebrity (In a Strange Place). Who doesn't want to see someone like Bill Murray walk into the coffee shop they're sitting in? I've always wondered if this ever happened, who would it be? If I do end up traveling as much as I want to I'm sort of hopeful that I might spot someone well known, just to say that I did. More than that though, I'd love to meet them and for whoever they are not to think I'm some freaked out fan, but a normal human being.
10. The last thing I'd want to do before I die, is Arrange a Will and A Non-Traditional Funeral. This sounds silly or normal or whatever, but I think we take this ability for granted. What if we die before we get a say in what happens after? My friends and I talked about this when Cameron died (because his funeral was strange and religious, and we all agreed it wasn't Cameron-like) and told each other what we wanted in hopes we wouldn't forget. Personally, I'd leave my things to the closest people in my life and I'd like to be cremated and have my ashes made into keys, possibly with "Never Forget" etched into the sides, with my birthday and death date. I hate coffins and I hate the idea of being another slowly rotting body in the ground. Gross. I'd much rather my loved ones be able to carry pieces of me around in the form of my favorite symbol. I don't know if the keys would be to something, because that would take a lot of planning, and I don't want to spend that much time planning my death. Living is more important, obviously.

No comments:

Post a Comment