Sunday, February 6, 2011

Days 21 & 22

I was focusing on homework for an online class yesterday, and by the time I realized I'd skipped a day I was way too tired to bother.

So Day 21: One of Your Favorite Shows

I will always love "Friends." It's just one of those shows I'll never get tired of. I watch it when I'm sick or when I'm sad, or sometimes just before I go to sleep. I just recently completed my collection of all of the episodes on DVD, which took way longer than I would have liked, but it's satisfying to finally have it all. My favorite character is Chandler (Matthew Perry), because for whatever reason when I watch an episode and think I'm not enjoying it anymore Chandler says something and I laugh and love it again.

Now Day 22 is: Something You Want To Do Before You Die

This would definitely be to write a book and get it published. As a kid I was always writing and was under the impression that publishing something would be easy. Well, it's definitely not, nor is it terribly profitable unless you sell your soul to the devil like Stephanie Meyer did or just get lucky like J.K. Rowling did. My college creative writing teacher explained the process to our class, and her main advice was "prepare to be rejected many many times." That, and she told us that authors only receive fractions of the cost of their work. Once you get published, you generally have an agent, and deadlines, and I'm worried if I get to that point it may not be fun anymore. Although, personally I do need deadlines to get things done, because my main problem is that these days I can't finish what I start and sometimes I'm afraid to just start something. It could be good for me, but I won't be there for a long time, because since it's not my main career plan (because I want to be able to feed myself on a regular basis) I'm planning on doing this later on the side.

I still have a lot more to learn about writing, also. Taking classes has taught me that. So right now is just about improving my writing. I can work on my novel a little later in life. Ha.

No comments:

Post a Comment